Neurological Ailments
Do Not Predestinate a Person to Hell
Katrina Hughes
A popular topic in the narrative of
a person’s life is their “defining moments” or times where they can point out a
change in their life, normally in the way that they think. Whether or not you
believe in defining moments, there are points in a person’s life where the way
they see the world is drastically changed. The last year for me has been a
struggle and has powerfully changed the way I process life. After a series of
bad times I was diagnosed with depression in May of this year. Fortunately, instead
of making me feel worse about myself, I’ve used these experiences and this
diagnosis to think a lot about who I am as a person, mentally and spiritually.
I retook this class because I remembered how it made me evaluate my beliefs and
how they may or may not coincide with those of the New Church, especially in
regards to the afterlife and ultimate judgment. I do not consider myself a
member of the New Church but I respect the religion and abide by many of the
tenants in my own way. I retook this class from the perspective of trying to
use the things I learned to help me understand my condition and according to
the New Church if I, or other people suffering from neurological ailments, have
an equal opportunity to be “good people” and go to heaven.
First I must define what a “good
person” is. My understanding of an ultimate “good person” according to the
writings of Emanuel Swedenborg is someone who ends up in heaven. We learned
about a lot of judgments and a lot of different types of people. But when a
person dies, they figure out who they truly are, and lose the exterior shell
that they inhabit on this earth. The good go to heaven and the bad go to hell.
Swedenborg talks a lot about the importance of faith and charity (AC 6011).
Faith is believing in the truths of the bible and in the goodness God and
charity is good done onto your neighbor. Good people are those who have both
faith and charity, but the importance is placed on charity and being good to
the other people around you.
Because I am comparing by beliefs and
those of the New Church, I need to first outline what my beliefs are. I believe
I have a soul, and I think that this soul is who I am and I believe it to have
a certain personality that makes me unique from everyone else around me. My
soul is what Swedenborg calls the “internal man.” (TCR 591) It is the part of
me that exists after I die and leave this physical body, that Swedenborg calls
the “external man” (AC 1584), on Earth when I go somewhere else. It is what
defines me as a sentient human being. My soul is the part of me that has
feelings. But from suffering from depression, I’ve found out that physical and chemical
indispositions in my brain affect the way that I feel. So there must be
something more than just my internal and just my external part. Who I am must
be a combination of the two or maybe even of more. I also believe in an
afterlife and heaven and hell.
According to Last Judgment (AC
9706) the perfect human is made in an image of heaven. But the natural body is
often times not perfect. Everyone knows that people everyday are born with
physical ailments of the body that drastically change the way that their
parents envisioned them living their lives. These people’s lives are harder,
but they still exist because their physical ailments are an outcome of nature
and that mistakes happen in nature. It is not difficult for a DNA strand to not
replicate correctly, resulting in an incorrect protein that leads to some
larger ailment for a person. These imperfections are seen all the time and
accepted as real and unfortunate. That’s why most public places have
handicapped parking spaces and wheelchair accessible entrances and so much
more. As a society we realize that it is not a person’s fault if he or she has
physical ailments that they are born with or the ones that come from accidents.
We do what we can to make their lives easier because we know how difficult life
already is for them. Something that is much harder for our society to
understand, however, is ailments of the mind. I think this is due to the fact
that you can’t see a physical problem when someone is suffering from depression
or schizophrenia, so you assume that their flaw is a flaw of the inner self and
they chose to be that way. But going through the experiences I have for the
last year, I have come to understand neurological ailments in a way I never did
before. Just like deformities of the body, there are also deformities of the
mind. Problems that these people didn’t bring on themselves and issues that
they have that do not make or break who they are as a person. The perfect human
mind is also supposed to be in the image of heaven, but it is often not the
case. Nature creates mistakes and it’s against free will to have a God who
oversees everything fixing or aborting the mistakes.
When thinking about whether or not
people with mental disabilities will go to heaven it is crucial to find out
what part of a person is important in the judgment process. As I said before, I
believe that people are made up of at least two parts, maybe more. But the
important parts are the natural physical body and the internal spiritual soul. Swedenborg
sums up the unimportance of the exterior, or natural, in regards to judgment in
Last Judgment n. 30 and in True Christian Religion n. 796
“It is the spiritual element in a person which is judged,
not the natural; for this is not answerable to any blame or charge, because it
has no life of its own, but is merely the tool and instrument by means of which
the spiritual element acts.” (LJ 30)
“…if he draws only on the external man for what he puts on
paper, and not on the internal at the same time; he writes then from
compulsion, not from free choice, and it is blotted out automatically.” (TCR
796)
The internal, or spiritual part of a person is who they
really are, what continues on after their physical body has died, deteriorated,
and its elements returned to the Earth. Swedenborg speaks of how the natural
part of a person is merely a tool that the spiritual part uses. But in the
cases of neurological ailments, this tool is broken, in a more severe way than
your body can be broken. There is a stronger connection between the physical
mind and the spiritual soul than the physical body and the spiritual soul. The
part of ourselves that we are most aware of is our physical selves (TCR 806) and
when we need to use that to grow our spiritual selves, the state of our
physical mind is important. It is as if a person was judged on their ability to
learn to run, but had never heard of the concept before. It would be
practically impossible for them to teach themselves. If all you use is your
external self, however, then your actions are just a representation of the
drives of an animal, and not from the free choice that humans alone have. This
means that what you do is not important unless it comes from your spiritual
internal self.
The idea of neurological ailments also
made me think of addiction, which is in many cases a genetic disease, passed on
to future generations by the past and struggled with, often failing, in hurting
the lives of others around them. I would consider hurting others a sin and the
people that hurt others to be bad people who would end up in hell. But what if
your spiritual self can’t control it, even though it tries because it is held
within this flawed natural body that evolution has created for it. I think
Swedenborg tells us that the answer is that the spiritual body is not
responsible for the sins that the natural body is completely in control of. If
it is possible for your internal self to intervene and do good, and you chose
not to, then that is a sin. But if you can’t intervene because of a physical
mental ailment, then those sins are treated like the sins of children. You
didn’t know any better and once you go to heaven, your flawed physical body will
no longer be in the way and you can be the person you are supposed to be. This
has difficult implications. There have been studies on the minds of
psychopathic killers that show their brains don’t have the ability to show
empathy or discern right from wrong. I believe that according to Swedenborg’s
writings, a psychopathic murderer could be a good person and go to heaven. The
bad things that they do might be completely attributed to their physical
ailment and once they lose their physical bodies they are actually truly a new
and much better person. According to Swedenborg everyone has hereditary evils
passed down to him or her from their parents. This is the case here. Physical
ailments are a combination of bad genetics and bad environment factors that
make your physical body not in the image of heaven. Life for people with these
ailments is more difficult, but not unjust. God allows for free will which in
turn allows evolution and environmental challenges to make our external man
imperfect. This is a part of life. Overcoming what you can, and losing what you
cannot overcome when you die is what is important. Free will is a very
important topic in Swedenborg’s writings (TCR 476). It would be against free
will for God to make your body turn out in a way that is contradictory to
evolution and nature but it would also be against free will to allow these
ailments to predetermine whether a person will go to heaven or hell.
I’m not implying that there aren’t
any bad people. But I am saying that people you think are bad might not be.
Really, it is only God who can tell if a person is good or bad and that person
learns for themselves when they die and see what they truly love. Just like
there are seemingly good people who only do good for personal gain, there are
also seemingly bad people who only act badly because they are unable to stop
it. That is why you should always treat others with compassion and respect,
because you never know what they are going through. They might not seem to be
as good as a person as you, but have overcome a whole lot more than you have to
get to where they are. It’s about the effort you put in.
Through the trials of the past
year, I’ve come to understand much more about mental diseases than I did
before. Actually going through the process opens your eyes to how much people
can struggle everyday because of seemingly simple chemical imbalances in their
brains or external factors that affect them in very real ways. Mental diseases
really are a sickness, just like being born with a hole in your heart. But
instead of a defect in the organs of your body, it’s a defect in the neurological
processes of your mind and it changes who you are. So I’ve been struggling with
finding out who I am, what makes up my soul and whether or not I believe that I
have an equal opportunity to go to heaven. Because of this class I have come to
the conclusion that although neurological impairments make life more difficult,
they to not predestinate a person to hell. Or heaven for that matter. What
matters is the effort that you put into working to be a better person and doing
the best you can with the physical body you were born with to grow your
spiritual self.
3 comments:
I really enjoyed this paper! I thought it flowed very nicely which made it easy to read. I especially like the part where you said that people who seem bad are not and that we should always give people respect because I think that it is true yet difficult to do.
One thing which was not a major issue but something I might change is the introductory sentence or two. I see where you went with them and why they are in there and I don't think they are bad, but I don't think the idea of life changing moments was tied into your paper and so when I first read it, I thought that your paper was going to be about something else rather than on how natural ailments effect our spiritual lives.
In this paper you talk about how our bodies and minds are made in the image of heaven which is an idea that I agree with. You also talk a lot about how mental and physical ailments make life harder and so can make spiritual life harder but some people with down syndrome for example are usually very nice people even though their lives are hard. Do you think that some mental diseases could have a positive effect on someone's spiritual life?
Katrina,
Wow, great paper! Your sentence "Nature creates mistakes and it’s against free will to have a God who oversees everything fixing or aborting the mistakes" really opened my eyes to a new understanding of free will. The idea that it is against free will for God to fix mistakes is really interesting because many people seem to think it is He who causes the mistakes to begin with, when in fact, He created a system in which there had to be flaws in order for there to be freedom.
I do wish you had spent some time on the imputation of actions vs. thoughts, feelings, etc. For example, not all psychopaths are killers. I'd imagine those who had not killed would have an easier time in the world of spirits than those who had. I think part of my confusion stems from the fact that I disagree that some people cannot discern between right and wrong. According to Swedenborg, that is what makes people different from animals. While it may be harder for some people, it doesn't make sense that it would ever be impossible.
Do you think that mental diseases or disabilities can affect which heaven a person can get into? For example, can a person who lived a wheelchair bound life without an ability to communicate with the world get into the same heaven as you and me? That concept is hard for me to grasp and I am wondering what your thoughts are.
Thank you for a wonderful paper. It was very well researched and presented.
Katrina-
Mental illness is real and I think you did a very good job of establishing its physical real-ness if that makes sense. I really liked your discussion on a natural self, a spiritual self, and maybe something more. How our physical brain interacts with our emotions and thoughts and, in turn, our actions and spiritual life is huge. You really were able to articulate well a connection between natural thought and spiritual thought and how alignment can manipulate mental reasoning and therefore our good or bad actions.
I wish there was a more definitive idea of ‘in the spiritual world.’ You touch on that idea of ‘in the next life we’re no longer flawed’ but it is passed over quickly and a closer look would help strengthen the point made that earthly bad people can go to heaven.
What are your thoughts about a sliding scale of rational reasoning for degrees of mental illness? Also, I’m curious about the idea of what is a person with mental illness is establishing and is connected to spiritually. I’m curious if there is a protection of their spiritual life or, especially with emotional health, what spirits are their spirits interacting with, both evil and heavenly (are we inclined to draw one or the other closer to them due to earthly mental health?)
Overall good work! It seems like you really were able to reason some important questions and made great distinctions of how the physical is both distinct and connected to the spiritual world. I really enjoyed reading this!
Post a Comment