Friday, June 4, 2021

“Change is Nature! The Part We Can Influence. And It Starts When We Decide”

 Savannah Zazulak 

Religion 320: Judgment, Providence, and Human Society

Rev. Scott Frazier

June 4, 2021

“Change is Nature! The Part We Can Influence. And It Starts When We Decide”

Development Vs. Change

Development, as described by the Cambridge Dictionary, is the “process in which someone or something grows or changes and becomes more advanced” (development)—it is a noun, change is “to make or become” (change). Change is an action, a verb, it is like running, jumping, dancing, it is something you choose to do.

Change is without a doubt inevitable. Sometimes we have no choice of the change and other times we make the choice to. Change is not something that can happen overnight, but it only takes a quick second to make the decision to.

We were born evil, but we have two births. One birth being from our mothers and fathers here on Earth, our natural parents, our second birth being one we choose from the Lord, our spiritual birth. And because of this, we were made to develop and grow while changing. We do not have the same bodies and minds that we had when we were a newborn, toddler, child, adolescent, teenager, young adult, etc. We go through puberty, our bodies change, hormones change our chemical makeup, and everything. We have no choice in the matter of whether or not we go through those developmental changes, but it is what we do with those changes that come into play and really matter.

We could be having a bad day and we can choose to stay miserable and be unhappy or we can try to do something or think of a way out of that bad day to make it better, that is OUR CHOICE to do so. We may not be able to control the things that happen to us, but we can choose the way we think, how we speak, how we react, and we choose how we respond to those outside forces.

Choice is what makes us human.

We Are Temporary

Humans were not made to live forever. We are a finite creation from a creator that is without a doubt infinite. We were made in the likeness of the Lord, and He gave us the chance to allow us to make our own decisions. Through the equilibrium and balance of heaven and hell, we are allowed to choose evil or good, the devil or the Lord. We are allowed to follow one or the other and change our minds any time we want to. We are imperfect beings and will allows make mistakes, the Lord does not want use to make bad and evil decisions, but we are allowed to do this anyways. If we have done evil and lead lives that astray from being vessels of the Lord’s love and wisdom we have the choice to be saved. We have the power to push away evils of all kinds and change our lives, according to True Christian Religion 659, “Since he has freedom to choose, he can will a thing or not will it”.

Salvation and Repentance

Salvation and repentance are a choice and a change that we choose to make in our lives. If we have not been one with the Lord we choose to take action and make a change in our lives to live according to the Word and to listen to the Lord. Salvation and repentance are not just about being baptized and saying ten “Hail Mary’s” every time we sin and choose evil. Salvation and repentance are a commitment to the Lord that you are going to make in your life that with inevitably change you forever. You are not predetermined to go to heaven or hell by the Lord, we are the people that make that decision whether the Lord agrees with it or not. Because the Lord allows us to change and be saved by his mercy and grace, we can make ourselves new. It is said in Hebrews 1: 10-12 “And, ‘You, Lord laid the foundation on earth in the beginning, and the heavens are the work of your hands; they will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment, like a robe you will roll them up, like a garment they will be changed. But you are the same, your years will have no end.’” I really like this quote from Hebrews because if we choose to change our lives and pick salvation we will have eternal life in the spiritual world. We are given a gift and we shall use it to the best of our abilities in the right direction.

The Gift

Having the ability to change is a complete gift from the Lord as it says in Ephesians 2: 8-9 “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your doing; it is the gift of God, not as a result of works, so that no one may boast”. Change is undoubtedly the most beautiful thing a person can do. We are able to take our lives—as precious it is, and take it and make it into something beautiful, indescribable, and most importantly a heaven on Earth. The saying “be the change you want to see in the world” is one of my favorite sayings, as cliché as it sounds. It is my favorite quote because we can empower others to do the same especially if it is positive. Being able to be a positive change, even if it is for one person for 30 seconds, is useful, charitable, it is outside of ourselves, and we need to be able to recognize that it indeed comes from the Lord. It even says so in Proverbs 3: 5-6 “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths”. We should always look towards the Lord and try and seek answers and understandings from Him to help us make, what we hope and think to be as the right direction.

Openness

The most important piece to the puzzle of change is to be open. Openness to new information, new opportunities, openness to the Lord and everything He has to offer. You must open your exteriors to have your interiors open and perceive all the good that the natural and spiritual world has to offer. When new information comes forth to us, we must internalize and digest the information and then act upon it. Only then can we make change for the good and the better. You cannot expect to progress as a person if you are not opened to change in the first place.

Carousel of Progress

Progression happens everywhere we look, even if we do not think it is progression, it is. There is progression from dawn to dusk, year to year, progression in the trips around the sun, the changes in the seasons, progression is all around us. There is a ride in Magic Kingdom, Disney World called the “Carousel of Progress”, it is one of my favorite rides there. It is about the changes in dialect, technologies, people, times, culture, and everything. The reason why it is one my favorite rides in Magic Kingdom is because it shows that change is a good thing. It shows that without the progression and the ingenuity what we have now and who we are today would not be possible. I personally cannot imagine myself not in the times we are today. Today everyone everyday are becoming more equal to each other, we are connected in so many ways so instantly now more than ever. People are always coming up with ways to change the future and we as humans are constantly changing and if we do not we will get left behind.

The Word of Spirits

No one wants to be left behind or felt left out on Earth and even in the spiritual world. Before anyone steps foot into heaven or hell they enter the World of Spirits. In the World of Spirits souls get sorted, good souls go to heaven and evil souls go to hell. But there is something that everyone goes through, and that is instruction. Instruction introduces the souls to the Lord and the Word in its literal meaning. There are three states to instruction. In the first state of the World of Spirits, men and women begin to adapt to life in the spiritual world, everything is like it is on Earth, but more perfect. In the second state of the World of Spirits, your interiors slowly come to life and your exteriors slowly begin to fade away as your interiors are what you become. Finally in the third state of the World of Spirits is instruction, instruction teaches you the truths of the Lord and the Word. The World of Spirits allows people to change and become something more. It allows souls to become new and change for the good, bad, etc. Change happens in the natural world and the spiritual world, but in order for this to happen you just have to believe that you can change. The Lord condemns no one, we have the power to change our fates, in Heaven and Hell 525, Swedenborg writes “the Lord denies heaven to no one, and that they can be admitted and stay as you desire it”. Your mindset is also an important piece to this puzzle.

Outlook  

Your mindset can change the course of your path forever. Believing that you have the ability to change is one of the biggest things that you can accomplish here in the natural world and allows you to change your spiritual destiny. Because everything around us and in us are in a continuous progression just being able to accept that it is outside of you, and you cannot change that can make a huge difference for you to be able to believe that you are capable to reacting and changing as well. You are allowed to try new things. Trying new things allows you to grow and experience things you could have never imagined. You are allowed to try new things and not like them as well.

My Testimony

I personally have tried so many new things, some that I have liked, some that I have loved, some that I have hated, and some that I never would have tried if someone had not visited me with information to try. I am grateful for all the experiences that I chose to take. I have taken my experiences, the good and the bad, and I learned and grew from them. Being allowed to change is one of the most rewarding things I have met with. I love that I am not stuck in one mood, one hobby, one set of friends, etc. I love that I am allowed to change and do things that make me feel useful. I have changed my major and what I have wanted to do with my life for years, except for now. People say all the time that they have a calling to do what they do in their careers, and I believe I have found that. I am a teacher. I found a use that I feel is my calling and it is because of the gift of change from the Lord, I have the privilege to be able to be a teacher and teacher the Lord’s children and be of use in my natural lifetime. I do not know what my use will be in heaven, but I want to teach the souls of children who have passed about the Lord, the Word, and every single thing that heaven has to offer because what we are able to do here on Earth is truly amazing. My life is only beginning, and I will continue to develop socially, emotionally, physically, etc. and I will choose to keep up with it by change my interiors because the Lord has provided me the chance to do so. Because we develop, change in inevitable. Everything is going to progress and develop whether we are ready for it or not. Relying on our internals, instincts, the people around us, and trusting in the Lord will make a world of a difference. My greatest advice, which so happens to be a Disney quote from the movie the Lion King, is… “Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it or learn from it”. The things that happen in life are not what we are destined to be or who we are, we have the power to change because the Lord says so.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Works Consulted

change. CHANGE | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary. (n.d.). https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/change.  

development. DEVELOPMENT | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary. (n.d.). https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/development.  

 

3 comments:

Danny said...

Loved this paper! I really enjoyed the Disneyland analogy and your testimony. It's fascinating to see how much of Christianity and religion in general is marked by changing oneself. In fact I think it would be fair to say all religions aim to do just that! I do have a question: once we reach our final community in the spiritual world, do we stop changing? Or do we continue to change for eternity?

Rayna Synnestvedt said...

"Be the change you want to be in the world" or the variation of that I love most is "be the good" regardless I love that you included this (also my favorite quote I think). I appreciate your dive into this topic because I am very passionate about this and our human ability to change and develop and become better and more useful. I also especially appreciate that you chose this side (which is what I really love to believe in) when I focused on the darker side of we are nothing so what's the point of changing.

I want to highlight your note about being "allowed" to change is one of the rewarding things in life you've come across and I think you're so right (whether or not there is spiritual backing for this but probably because of repentance). It is a luxury of a free government, financial freedom, societal freedom, etc. that we can work to better ourself or completely reinvent ourselves and everything in between. Change is a part of life and I think it is really sweet you focused on this topic because you want to be a kindergarten teacher.

Maxwell Nelson said...

Enjoyable and Positive paper. I like how you focused on how we are finite and how the Lord is infinite. I also enjoyed your discussion of equilibrium affecting choice. I think you could have reference the Writings a bit more than you did. Fair quotes otherwise. How does "mindset" relate to one's ability to change, is it something that the person just changes or do you think the Lord helps in some regard (other than making you exist)? What are your thoughts on psychological studies perhaps being valid in heaven too?