Friday, November 9, 2012

Self Reflection: Our Tool for Personal Judgment



            Life is a process constantly full of new experiences, circumstances, and troubles. From the time we are children all the way up through old age we face temptation, doubt, and sorrow. We make mistakes every day. Some days we may even feel like giving up on ourselves because the burden of becoming the person we want to be, or that the Lord wants us to be, is just too heavy. We are told that everything will work out in the end, and that the Lord loves us no matter what, but despite the truth in these reassuring words, we know it’s just not that easy. After a particularly hard day in which we seem to have lost every spiritual war we’ve been waging for weeks, we might let out a desperate prayer, “Lord, I want to be a good person. Help me to be that person.” Although this is a very useful and practical approach in bringing ourselves out of these dark states, the temporary strength we are imbued with by the Lord does not last on its own. We call on the Lord’s name for strength to fight our spiritual temptations, but we must use this strength He has given us to examine ourselves so that we can acknowledge our mistakes and turn to Him for help. It is through this process of self-reflection and examination that we are able to stop doing evil, turn to the Lord, and in doing so allow His qualities to flow into our life.
            When we reflect on our current state, we often receive mixed messages about whether we are doing the right thing or not. We are told, for example, that we should study hard and dedicate ourselves to school. Being a student is, after all, our current occupation. But what happens if we spend so much time dedicating ourselves to school that we alienate ourselves, ignore our friends, and fall short in other responsibilities we have? Similarly, a man or woman could genuinely love their job for the use it serves, but get so tied up in their work that they neglect their spouse and kids. These examples aren’t often clear cut decisions, and can be painful and confusing for all parties involved. We are told in Last Judgment Continued that, “The only way to acquire spiritual love is by a life of charity, and natural love remains natural if a life of charity is neglected.” Furthermore, this natural love, “if not subordinated to spiritual love, is its opposite” (LJC 21). These natural loves, such as the love of your occupation, are at the core good loves. When, however, we begin to subordinate higher loves, such as love of family, to these loves, they become opposed to each other. In times like this, the easiest response is to become defensive and think to ourselves about how hard we work, how many people we help, and how ungrateful our family is for everything we do. This is not true self-reflection, but rather our own selfish motives trying desperately to hold onto control. We read, “…whenever upon self-reflection we consider we are thinking good, or doing good, this comes from our ego, from some love, desire, craving. And whenever one attributes this to oneself, it is a sin in every particular” (SE 1561).
            How, then, do we truly self reflect? Divine Providence #195 tells us that we view something as evil if it ruins the pleasure of our feeling, and that we view something as false if it ruins the appeal of our thoughts. Being human, many things we find appealing and pleasing are evil and false. This allows us the freedom to shun the Lord’s truths from us, because we believe they make us unhappy. We do this in small ways almost every day. One simple example is starting a homework assignment at a reasonable hour. When we think about what we have to do, we feel unhappy and often find something more immediately pleasing to us, when in reality we would be much happier if we simply did what we were required to do. It is because we are capable of tricking ourselves like this that self-reflection is so important. True self-reflection, then is not simply thinking about our life and arbitrarily deciding what will make us happy, but rather deeply examining ourselves, discovering what makes us unhappy, identifying the evil that is the true source of this unhappiness, and shunning that evil.
            The process of self-reflection is often not a simple one, though. Although it may occasionally seem easy to identify an evil and decide to stop acting in a certain way, evil has a way of getting on our good side. If a friend of ours, for example, is extremely wealthy and tends to leave money lying around on their desk there might be a small temptation, even if only for a second, to take it. One might easily dismiss this temptation for fear of losing a friend. The evil around us, though, dispels these worries. “He’ll never know it was you. You could even help him look for his lost money and strengthen your friendship. He doesn’t need it anyway.” These justifications are slippery and quite easy to fall into. Heaven and Hell describes how we might act differently were we not afraid of consequences: “Everyone can judge from himself how he would act if, being such, he were left free to act with no fear of the law and no fear in regard to his life, and with no outward restraints, such as fear of injury to one’s reputation or of loss of honor and gain and consequent pleasures” (HH 508.5). This is precisely what self-reflection is all about. It is not enough to simply stop ourselves from doing harmful things; we have to stop ourselves for the right reasons. “…if we abstain from evils for any other reason than that they are sins, we are not really abstaining from them. We are only preventing them from being visible in the world” (DP 118).
In order to abstain from evils as sins we must submit to something higher than ourselves. In the Doctrine of Charity we learn that in order to do this, we must reject our base nature’s desire to be love and wisdom itself. When we do this, we return to the knowledge that we are merely recipients of God’s love and wisdom, as we were created to be. “…because the proprium of man, by the inversion of it, has become mere evil, the other means of recovering the image of God is to shun evils as sins. For if a man does not shun evils as sins, but only because they are injurious, he does not look to the Lord, but only to himself, and so remains in his perverted state” (Charity 204). When we think evil thoughts and put them into action, we are, as vessels of the Lord’s love and wisdom, turning ourselves upside-down. When, through reflection, we discover this tendency in ourselves and shun it as a sin, we allow God to change our interiors from the image of hell we have created within us back to an image and likeness of Him.
            Often times, though, we get caught up in our busy daily lives and lose sight of our ability to examine ourselves. When we do happen to reflect on things we’ve done or said, it is usually short and simple such as, “I was impatient with my friend and said something rude—I shouldn’t be so mean in the future.” This type of thought is a common, yet often fleeting one. Nothing is actually being done to fix the situation—it is as productive as thinking to yourself, “I should definitely write my paper due tomorrow.” The Doctrine of Charity explains further about self-reflection of this nature: “If it is only as to the actions, it discovers little; and this is not enough; give the reason” (Charity 5). Our problems are never figured out simply by acknowledging that we did something wrong—we must admit to ourselves why we were rude to our friend. “But if it is as to the thoughts and intentions, it discovers more” (Charity 5). Once we admit to ourselves that we were rude out of anger and frustration, and because we were very busy and late to a meeting, we discover a lot more about ourselves, our decisions, and why we do what we do. But we must also go that one step further: “…if it searches out what the man regards or does not regard as sins, then it discovers all. For whatever a man within himself regards as allowable, that he does” (Charity 5). This final step lets us realize and admit to ourselves that what we were really doing was placing ourselves above our friend, and in the process loving ourselves above all others. This mindset, although seemingly insignificant, is really a deep-seated evil within all of us. When we write off other people as stupid, insignificant, or not worth our time, we are raising ourselves up to be our own god. That feeling of importance, self-entitlement, and superiority is truly a sin. Once we recognize this atrocious sin, lying at the heart of a simple rude jab at our friend, we realize just how much it could have hurt them. Our reflection on the rude comment we made is suddenly transformed into a desire to love and respect our friends. This transformation is the Lord flowing into us and cleansing our interiors once we have done our part in shunning the sin we discovered within us.
            When we acknowledge various evil tendencies within us, it is not enough to simply be charitable to make up for it. In order to discover and properly deal with our evils, we must submit to what is higher than our own understanding—the Lord’s truth. Because we are inclined to evils, and can easily fall into justifying ourselves, the Lord has given us His Truth in the most accessible form possible to aid us in our self-examination. These are the Ten Commandments. True Christian Religion tells us, “In their literal meaning, the Ten Commandments contain general principles to be taught and lived; in their spiritual and heavenly meanings, they contain absolutely everything” (TCR 287). It can be a real struggle within us when two things we love conflict. We are faced with hundreds, if not thousands, of choices every day that lead us down different paths and shape who we are, for better or for worse. By examining ourselves in light of the Ten Commandments and submitting ourselves to them, we allow the Lord’s truth to guide our thoughts, actions, and eventually our whole life.

Because everything in the Word is about loving God and loving our neighbor, and the first tablet of the Ten Commandments contains a summary of everything about loving God while the second tablet contains a summary of everything about loving our neighbor, it follows that the Ten Commandments contain everything to be taught and lived.
If you visualize the two tablets, it is clear how they are connected. God looks at us from his tablet and we look at God from ours. The two tablets are therefore turned toward each other. On God's side it never fails that he is looking at us and doing what has to be done for our salvation. If we accept and do the things on our tablet, a reciprocal partnership with God develops. What happens to us then is indicated by the Lord's words to the lawyer: ‘Do this and you will live.’ (TCR 287).


The Ten Commandments, then, are not just a piece of God’s truth we are told to use as reference; they contain the truth of the entirety of doctrine that ever has, and ever will, exist. His truth is always right before our eyes. When life seems too complicated to figure out, or we feel so weighed down by our conflicts that we want to just give up, simply reflecting on our thoughts and actions in light of the Commandments will, as God promises, give us life. When a situation makes us unhappy, rather than looking for fault in those around us, we can quietly ask ourselves, “Am I following the Commandments?” This simple gesture, when followed by an honest attempt at “doing the things on our tablet,” is true self-reflection. It need not be a grandeur exercise in which we comb through the various intentions behind every act we do, but rather a simple quiet voice asking us to look towards the Commandments. When we do find ourselves feeling angry or covetous or even depressed, we can quietly reflect on the source of this discontentment and ask ourselves, “Which of the Commandments do I need in my life right now?” Once we let go of our need to control our lives, or the lives of those around us, we can take comfort in knowing that the Lord controls everything, and is perpetually leading us in the right direction, if only we reflect on His Word. "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever" (Matt. 6:13).

15 comments:

Alejandro (Ben Glenn) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley Werkheiser said...

Thanks for writing this, Ben. I think the need for self-reflection is something that is easy to lose sight of, and you've spelled out well here why it is so important that we don't. I especially appreciated that the examples you chose to use are ones that are easy to connect to; it helped drive the points you were making home.

I was wondering if, in your research, you came across anything that talks about what happens when we honestly try to self-reflect, but then fall back into our old sins anyway? Does that mean that we weren't self-reflecting the right way? Does it make our previous self-reflection invalid, or just indicate that we need to self-reflect more often in order to keep ourselves from sins? It seems to me that self-reflection is never going to get us all the way to avoiding sins completely; no matter how often we self-reflect, we're still going to slip up. Does that have any impact on how we should self-reflect?

Tania said...

Thanks, Ben. I like how you laid this out. I particularly liked your paragraph about how active self-reflection is, how it's not enough to just say, "oh, I was mean", but to really go further and find out WHY you were mean. I know for myself that it's very easy to stop at the first step and this was a very good reminder of why that's not really self-reflection.

A question I've had while reading your paper is about the distinction between self-reflection and repentance. I have always seen self-reflection as sort of the initial steps in repentance. You have to see your evils, and see what evil is driving you and then turn to the Lord in order to repent, but then you also have to continually shun these evils and actually go through the steps of repentance. Perhaps it's just an issue of semantics, as the way you describe self-reflection sometimes, to me, sounds like repentance:
"It is not enough to simply stop ourselves from doing harmful things; we have to stop ourselves for the right reasons. “…if we abstain from evils for any other reason than that they are sins, we are not really abstaining from them. We are only preventing them from being visible in the world” (DP 118)."
But, I agree with Ashley that self-reflection doesn't seem enough to allow us to avoid sins completely in itself, so then there has to be a follow up of repenting of these sins? Or are you saying that self-reflection and repentance are sort of the same thing but with different focuses?

Darjeeling said...

Ben,
Thanks for your paper. It’s really nice to read something that is so directly applicable.


I liked lots of part but one that especially struck me was where you talked about how if we shun evils only because they are injurious, we are looking to ourselves and not the Lord, so we have to shun them as sins.

Here's a question I had: if we shun evils only because they are harmful to society does that shut off the chance for us to be shunning them for the Lord's sake because we are looking to ourselves? OR is this a stage that the Lord can work with to lead us to shun evils for stronger reasons? In other words, is it an inherently evil thing to do...or just a really shallow look at religion?

Thoughts?
~Dara

Jess David said...

What do you think about the idea of mixed motives? What if I look at an action I did and I can see selfish and selfless reasons that went into it? Is that an appearance, or reality, and what would you do with that? (Presumably, shun the evil parts?)

Unknown said...

Ben (Alejandro),

I really love that you used so many quotes inside your paper. It really helps to connect what you are saying with what Swedenborg says or what it says in the bible. Now I wish that I had done that too.

Your paper also made me think a lot about myself and what I would do if I was left to do whatever I wanted would I still choose the correct thing to do. I think it's such an odd thing to think about because I can't even think f a situation whee this would happen. Can you? I'd love to try to think about myself in a situation like that.

Unknown said...

Thank you Alejandro,

I like this paper, particular because I can relate to it. Self reflecting has never been consistant, I would do it every other time. But now I realize how important it is just to take even a minute or more before bed and just think back on the day. I really like how you brought up the fact that we don't necessarily have to reflect and apply all the Commandments, how reflecting on one at a time at a particular moment can help.

I also think self reflecting is important. But it is hard to do. I mean, its upsetting to search deep within and discover what a truly bad person one is. But then again, it is important to do so, realize what kind of a person you truly are, and if it so happens that it upsets you, then you can try to change that and be a happier person.

Question: For a person who doesn't know all the Commandments or aren't interested in the bible (say atheists), do you think they can still truly self reflect? And if they don't relate their reflection to the Commandments, are they in trouble (damned)? Would like to hear what you have to say about this, if you do have an idea about it.

Ami Gannett said...

This is a really good primer for self-reflection. It's a hard concept to really break down, I think, since it's something that's vitally important, but not many people seem to have a good grasp of.

I really liked the bit at the end about the Commandments, but it almost seems like something you'd need to have taken Rel 272 to really appreciate.

Michaela Boyesen said...

Nice paper Ben. It went down easy with the fluid transitions between your 'made up examples' and complex doctrine.

While reading your paper I was eagerly waiting for you to bring up the Word and how that relates to self-reflection. I like how you focused on the Ten Commandments.

My question is though, what if upon self-reflection you do not know what to do. Maybe you cannot see what is harmful or hurting others because you are too confused about what is true. What is there to do then? Read the Word? or would this work itself out with appropriate trying efforts?

Anonymous said...

Interesting and enlightening, thank you Ben!

I was eagerly awaiting your explanation as to how we are supposed to reflect on ourselves, so I appreciated your thoughts near the end about the Ten Commandments. As Dara said, I was also struck by the idea that shunning evils is not enough if we simply look at them as harmful, rather than shunning them because they are contrary to God.

What I want to know is, how much do you think prayer has to do with self-reflection? Tania mentioned that this idea seems closely related to repentance and repentance definitely includes asking the Lord for help. Do you think that asking for His help in the earlier stages of self-reflecting (such as tracing a rude comment back to wanting power over others) is useful or should you wait until you are trying to shun the evil? Can/does the Lord change our interiors if we don't ask Him to?

Unknown said...

Hi, Ben! I found your paper to be quite an engaging read, and it enhanced several of the thoughts I have formulated in the course so far. Cheers!

Your attention to the thought process of self-reflection was spectacular, and your acknowledgement that it really is THAT hard to nail down the real reasons behind the issues we face in life really rang true for me. I myself have had severe internal struggles in the past, and I could really relate to just how incessant the evil thoughts and affections are when they are trying to maintain control. From what I have learned so far in the course, I have come to the tentative conclusion that in order to improve spiritually, one has to starve and eventually kill the version of himself that represents the evil act and the evil thoughts and affections therein. I see self-reflection, as you have described it, as being an excellent weapon for such an encounter. It isn't easy, for sure, but if used properly, it is extremely effective. I am grateful to you for writing this paper, then, because it takes my conclusion and adds the means to see it to fruition.

The questions I have now are these: Now that I know that fighting evil through self-reflection is effective, what is the cutoff? When would one start self-reflection on an event? Is it when they feel "bad" about it? Or is it based on severity? Should small things be overlooked if there are bigger issues? Is there a hierarchy to the Ten Commandments in terms of which infraction should be addressed first?

Sonja K said...

Thanks Ben! Not only was this a well written doctrinal paper, but I think the ideas in it are really important for everyone to understand and use in everyday life. It was relatable and applicable and easy to digest.

I think that in society today there is a severe lack of self reflection. The mind-set is "go, go, go- on to the next thing, the next challenge, the next opportunity. Leave the past behind." And while it's important to not let the past drag you down, if you never look back, you can never learn and grow.

An idea that I've been rolling around in my head from this class is that the only way we grow is through facing down and rejecting our evils in times of temptation. But what if we're faced with temptation and we let evil win? What if we do that for an entire day? Are we stuck until we're faced with the next temptation? So I liked that you addressed that defeated feeling in your introduction and throughout your paper. There is a way to fix it - by self reflection, submitting yourself to higher truth, and acting in charity.

I extra appreciated the simple instruction at the end. It's really useful to have a "next step" laid out for when you see yourself facing down these issues.

So my question is: How useful is it to self reflect on goodness in yourself? How easy is it to see what is truly good from the Lord and what is evil but brings us pleasure? Can it be harmful to try to recognize the good actions you've done recently? How could one do so in a way that is useful to spiritual growth? (I could probably write my own paper on that....)

Ben Glenn said...

Hey Sonja! I couldn't figure out how to sign back into this account to "reply" so I'll just leave a comment here instead.

Thanks for your feedback! It's fun coming back and reading this again 5 years later. I love your initial question about what we do when we're faced with some type of evil or temptation, and succumb to it. The good news is, of course, we are never stationary beings - it's impossible to get "stuck" in evil in this world. It sure feels like we're stuck sometimes, but spiritually we are what we eat in the simplest way possible. When you let evil win, you have "imbued" some of that evil into yourself. We're constantly a mix of good and evil - it's not a big deal. If we didn't make mistakes there would be no point in life as a process.

A colleague of mine in college once said (paraphrased), "Just breath, and do the next right thing." It's true that whenever we lose a battle, it becomes that much easier to lose the next one as well. When we start losing enough battles, we tend to start making excuses - changing our philosophy to match the evil in our lives to give us a temporary salve to the pain we feel. This is the real danger - confirming evils in yourself as not only acceptable but as good.

But lucky for us, it works the other way around as well. The Lord wants nothing except heaven itself for us. "Just breath and do the next right thing" is a perfect reminder. We can *never* be stuck. Feed the good, starve the bad, and move on.

This brings me to your real question: How useful is it to reflect on goodness in yourself? I think it's extremely useful. Those who are most arrogant, I think, tend to actually be the most insecure. Arrogance is, unfortunately, one of those defense mechanisms we often fall back to when doing the "right" thing seems tough or not fun enough. But that doesn't negate the usefulness of being proud of your accomplishments. I think it is absolutely vital to love yourself, to feel comfortable in your own skin, and to really believe that you are receiving constant love from the Lord before you can be a vessel of that Love. The key is to focus on that goodness in yourself as a gift that you get to use to make others around you happy. Try saying one simple nice thing to somebody who seems somewhat down, and it can be the biggest ego boost (in a good way!) you'll ever feel.

Your other question, "How easy is it to see what is truly good from the Lord and what is evil but brings us pleasure?" is a hard one for me. I think it's somehow simultaneously one of the hardest things we have to figure out, yet can be so simple too. We (I) tend to get caught up in the nitty-gritty. The facts. The minutia. What *is* acceptable? What *is* good? Is this bad? Should I support this following? That one? Especially when culture and politics and friendships are involved, it can be incredibly hard to figure out "what is right".

I think the good news is that we don't have to have everything figured out. Our job is to learn some truth, and to do some good. It's not our job to know everything, and it's not our job to be a perfect replica of God. If we are honest with ourselves, and look for the good in our neighbor - and look for ways we can improve their lives - then the rest tends to figure itself out. It might take a year, or two, or five, but that's okay. Breath and do the next right thing, the best you know how.

I hope that was useful, and I hope you're enjoying Judgment! That was one of my favorite classes in college, even if Mr. Frazier assigned entirely too much reading for it.

Cheers,

Ben

Nora Connelly said...

Hi Ben! Thanks for this engaging and thoughtful paper!

I really appreciate how seamlessly you incorporate quotes from the Writings, and how relatable and down to earth your examples were. You hit on a topic that I've been struggling with for a while-- "how do we choose to do the things that make us truly happy in a heavenly way when our thoughts are influenced by our own evil loves/loves that are dominant but should be subordinate?" You brought in multiple areas of theology that I had yet not connected to this question, like how we have to stop doing bad things for the right reasons. I also enjoyed your depiction of the two tablets of the 10 Commandments, and accepting and doing the things on "our" tablet. I also really liked your follow up comment answering Sonja's questions (particularly your friend's thoughts about how to move on after loosing a battle or two)!

I have a few of my own questions. Do you think anyone on earth would be able to honestly imagine how they'd act without any natural restraints and to see themselves do no evil? Do think they'd be able to imagine their actions without being disappointed in themselves from a "wanting to be the person the Lord wants me to be" perspective? Also, how much is too much self-reflection? Someone mentioned above how important it is to take a bit to examine oneself, before bed perhaps (which is a great idea) but many people do this before bed, somewhat unintentionally, with thoughts of regrettable things they did keeping them from sleep. Is that important, or is that too far?

Ben Glenn said...

Hey Nora! Thanks for reading and commenting!

You asked - "Do you think anyone on earth would be able to honestly imagine how they'd act without any natural restraints and to see themselves do no evil?"

It's hard to answer this for other people, but I imagine humanity is pretty much on the same boat. For me, at least, I definitely get glimpses of what I could be capable of if all earthly restrictions were truly removed. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. For me, I don't think I would ever be capable of physical violence verging on murder even if I knew for certain I would never be caught or punished. Violence is just not a vice of mine. But there are definitely other temptations in life that I would be terrified to be allowed to run rampant without consequences. Gandalf is a great wizard, but did you see the look on his face when Frodo offered him the ring freely? But I digress.

I imagine you're right. If all restrictions were removed, I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of people would be doing some messed up, evil stuff. That includes me, and you, and probably your next door neighbor, and definitely Mr. Frazier. But that's the nature of humanity, right? We're pretty selfish, and work for 80+ years to try to stop being selfish. I don't think our natures would fundamentally change, though. I don't think it would be like the purge, and suddenly otherwise friendly, peaceful humans would go on violent rampages. But the little things might start to slip, and making excuses for ourselves would become that much easier.

Your second question, about how much is too much self-reflection, is a great question. Some people genuinely suffer from chronic anxiety, guilt, etc. I think the quick answer is - if it is crippling you and making you a less effective, happy, useful person, then it's too much. Broccoli is amazing, but please don't eat 5 pounds of it in one day.

I think there's a big difference between guilt and shame. It's one thing to realize that you made a mistake and hurt someone, and feel the guilt associated with that, and another to harbor shame and hatred towards yourself. Shame rarely effects meaningful change, so it's important that we not mentally turn ourselves into our mistakes. I stole things when I was a punk 12 year old kid, but I should not waste energy constantly reminding myself of that mistake - that energy could be used thinking of ways to make the world a nicer place, or frankly, just doing some chores around the house.

After Jesus protected the woman caught in adultery (John 8), He didn't shame her for what she did. We aren't given any backstory or context, but we can assume that what she did was pretty hurtful, both to herself and to her family. But the clear message was, "I do not condemn you." That's a pretty solid, genuine truth right there in clear wording. The Lord never condemns us, so what makes us think we have any right to condemn ourselves? Our responsibility is not to shame ourselves into defeat, but to hear the Lord's guidance to "Go, and sin no more." I love the subtle addition to the start of that sentence: "Go." Don't sit in that shamed, condemned place that the "crowds" around us want us to be in. Get up and go do something! Yeah, you made a mistake. Sure, it's going to hurt for a while. But that doesn't mean we are stuck being that person, and we definitely shouldn't let anyone, including ourselves, shame us into thinking we can't improve.

That was a bit of a tangent - hopefully I answered your actual question. I think keeping ourselves up at night remembering all of the bad things we've done is not only not useful, but actually completely counterproductive. In a way, it can be easier to wallow in that self-pity than to actually do something about it! So it's probably a good idea to avoid that, too. :)

I hope that was at least a little useful! Have fun in Rel 320!