Why Goats Go to Hell
“Sheep go to Heaven,
“32.
All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from
another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats.33 And He will set the
sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left… 41 Then He will also say to those on the left
hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil
and his angels.’” – Matthew 25
A passage like Matthew 25 cannot be
understood unless we know the spiritual meaning of goats and sheep in the Bible.
In The Last Judgment Continued, Emanuel
Swedenborg gives such a definition, when talking about those in the first
heaven who were sorted into hell during the Last Judgment: “For the most part
they were the goats and those akin to them, who are named in Matthew
(25:41-46); who indeed, in the world had not done evils, for they had lived
well and morally” (LJC 10). So, goats are
people who lived good lives but went to hell? Isn’t the point of living a good
life so that we go to heaven? Last
Judgment Continued has the answer too: they – the goat people – went to
hell because “they had not done goods from a good origin, for they had
separated faith from charity, and hence had not regarded evils as sins” (LJC 10). While it is a
simple answer, to many it is not a satisfying one.
Before we go further, let us
solidify the meaning of goats through an example; what does it look like to be
a goat? In our example, we have Timothy and Dorothy. Timothy and Dorothy are next
door neighbors, they both pay their taxes, they mow their lawns and they give
money to charity at Christmas. Timothy is a successful lawyer and Dorothy is a
good nurse. Dorothy though, is a goat, not because she is choosing evil, but
because she is not rejecting evil. The problem is that if we are not rejecting
evil, it becomes a part of our life, and external moral or good actions do not
prevent this. While Timothy is trying to stop losing his temper, and is working
on curbing this impulse because he sees how harmful it is, Dorothy is just
living her life, and while not being deliberately mean to people because they
would ostracize her, also not keeping from thinking negatively about them. She
won’t steal, she won’t murder, she will obey all laws and her job will help
many people. But if she is not trying to remove evils and turn to the Lord, the
only other option is to turn to herself, and so self-love becomes the guiding
force in her life. Good actions are then done only to further her reputation,
the law is only obeyed for fear of punishment and loss of this reputation, and
smaller unkindness’s and thoughts, are not fought against from a place of
principle. If the laws and restrictions were removed then, how would Dorothy
behave? Dorothy is not directly choosing evil, but she is also not not choosing it. This is a picture of
why goats could end up in hell. Keeping Dorothy-goat in mind, we will seek to
further understand why being morally good is not enough and why it is not even
satisfying on earth, through taking a closer look at what it means to be a
goat, our default tendency to evil, and then repentance and use.
Goats are those who “do not regar[d]
evil as sins” (LJC 10), so let’s see why
this matters so much. As shown with Dorothy, goats are people who have done
good in life, and to all outward appearances, seem like good people. But, Divine Providence explains them as “people
who had given no thought to the evil within themselves and who are constantly
engaged in it because of this neglect” (DP 101). This seems to
indicate that we have a default state of evil that, if not actively removed,
will remain and grow, but more will be said about our default state later.
However, not regarding evil as a sin is dangerous because it means that “we
wind up inevitably not knowing what evil is and then loving it because of the
pleasure it offers us” (DP 101). Because evil
often feels good and satisfies many of our natural desires, if we are not striving
to act from a good place, we will fall into doing merely what feels best which,
on a natural level, is evil. Think of some natural things that feel good on a
sensory level: sleep, eating, physical affection. Used in the right way, these
can all be good and fulfilling, but if we indulge them merely because they feel
good, we can very easily become lethargic, overweight and involved in damaging
relationships. Since such an empty lifestyle inevitably leaves us feeling
empty, there is always the need to find more for me, more to satisfy me.
Spiritually speaking, people who are being guided by sensory pleasures, and not
shunning evil because it is evil, will become absorbed in self-fulfillment and
thus evil (DP 101), like Dorothy.
Just because this evil is subtle, does not mean it is not harmful. Furthermore,
if we do not regard evils as sins, “we are still doing them in spirit, because
it is our spirit that thinks and intends” (DP 101). Whatever our
outward behavior, shunning evils as sins is thus crucial to being a good
person, let alone a happy one.
But why the focus on shunning evils;
if we’re being morally good people, will we have evils to shun? The simple
answer is: yes, because we have a proprium. Since the beginning of the decline
of the Most Ancient Church, humans have had a proprium, “soul from [our]
parent[s]” (DP 206), a sense of
self apart from the Lord, symbolized by the creation of Eve (AC 151). It is from
this proprium and hereditary from our parents that our evil desires come, as
they certainly don’t come from the Lord. Divine
Providence describes prudence as coming either from us or the Lord. We are
either guiding our own lives and pushing the Lord out, or choosing to let Him
guide us as much as possible (DP 206). Therefore, if
we, like Dorothy, are not regarding evils as sins to be shunned, and thus not
turning to the Lord, what could we be following but our own prudence, and our
own proprium? And when guided from our proprium, although we can be morally and
outwardly good, “the good which man does from the proprium is not good, but in
itself is evil, because done for the sake of self and the world” (NJHD 82). Because of our propriums, the options are
simply: the Lord or self. Because Dorothy-goats were not turning to the Lord,
they were guided by their proprium and own prudence, which is evil.
In addition, while our free will
demands we are held in spiritual equilibrium, our natural tendency and default
state is to turn to evil. This tendency is so strong that “in consequence
of his hereditary evil a person forever goes panting toward the lowest hell,
whereas the Lord by His providence is constantly diverting him and drawing him
back from there” (DP 183). Even
children, who have not had a chance to choose evil and so are not culpable, “are
nothing but evil” and so must be withheld from it (AC 2309). We have such
a strong tendency to evil, and evil often feels good, that if we are not
actively shunning sins, we are going to slip in to them, as the Dorothy-goats
did. Because of our natural tendencies, the goats did not have to be choosing
overt evil to be orienting their lives to evil.
To make matters worse, we not only
have tendencies towards evil, but hell is actively attacking us and the Lord
can only push it back if we are turning to Him through repentance. Repentance
is the only way in which evil can be removed as “sins cling to a person no
matter how much he supposes them to have been forgiven… nor are they removed
from him except through a life in keeping with the commandments of faith” (AC 8393). This is known
as “repentance in life” which is true repentance -- not merely spoken, but
lived (AC 8393). Keeping this
definition of repentance in mind, consider that “hell attacks us all with
diabolical fury” and that “if the Lord did not counter hell and control it, we
could not help succumbing” (TCR 123). To illustrate
this, note these depictions of the power with which hell attacks us: it is like “battle against the armies of
every nation in the entire world, armed with spears, shields, swords, guns, and
cannons”, “someone fighting against all the wild animals in the world” and “resisting
the whole ocean after dikes have broken and waves are pounding cities and the
countryside” (TCR 123). It is one
thing to know the Lord fights hell for us, it is another to see just how
helpless we would be without Him, for our foe is unstoppable if faced by us
alone. But with the same strength He used when He subdued the hells on earth,
“the Lord uses… divine power today to fight against hell in every one of us who
is being regenerated” (TCR 123). And as the
first steps in regeneration are identifying and then repenting of sins,
repentance is necessary in order for the Lord to bring all of His might to
fight on our side. Goats are refusing the Lord this power, and while the Lord
is still with every created thing, He cannot fight for them the way He desires
to. Through her lack of repentance, Dorothy allowed the hells to attack her with
all of their terrible power.
Aside from the power of hell and our
tendencies to evil, life as a Dorothy-goat is not even fulfilling in the
natural world. The reason for this is again found in Last Judgment Continued: “they had separated faith from charity” (LJC 10). The New
Church teaches that happiness comes through use, and you are useful when you act
in charity directed by faith: “these knowledges must have use as their end, and
when they have use, they have life as their end” (AC 1964). Dorothy did not
live this way, but instead, separated faith and charity. Her life then, which
contained good actions, was not charitable, as charity that is not directed by
truth is not true charity. Since Dorothy was not acting from a marriage of faith
and charity and thus could not be truly charitable, she herself could not be
useful, even though her job as a nurse helped people. And “without a life of
use, the rational becomes as here described, resembling a wild-ass, morose,
pugnacious, and characterized by a parched and dry life, from a kind of love of
truth that is defiled with the love of self” (AC 1964). Even on
earth, life as a goat would have been parched and empty. Dorothy was hitting
the right marks externally, but that was not enough for happiness or salvation,
since she was not also repenting and growing spiritually.
So Dorothy needs repentance for
happiness, but, can’t she just join good and truth without having to repent? Again,
the answer is simple: no, because “good before repentance is not good, nor,
before repentance, is charity charity” (Charity 207.7). If we take
water from a muddy stream, we would expect the water to be muddy. We cannot act
in genuine good if we are following our own evil proprium and prudence. “Before
repentance a man is in evil… by repentance, however, the evil is removed and
good is implanted,” and it is only then that we may join that good to truth and
so live a life of use (Charity 207.7). Without
repentance there is no marriage of good and truth, thus no use and no spiritual
happiness, and there is also no salvation.
While such statements may appear
harsh and unjust, remember that it is not the Lord who is condemning the Dorothy-goats.
“Being Mercy itself, the Lord is constantly forgiving a person's sins,” but we judge
ourselves by not casting off the hells that cling to us (AC 8393). The Lord
would be waiting, longing to help Dorothy fight back the powers of hell, but
because He values her freedom above all else, He will not remove her evils
unless she allows Him to. The Dorothy-goats brought about their own judgment
long before the Last Judgment took place. During their outwardly moral lives on
earth, they did not repent, and thus inevitably turned to their own prudence,
and so the Lord could not save them.
Why do goats go to hell? Why did
Dorothy go to hell? They go to hell because external morality is not enough. If
we are not shunning evils as sins, we will inevitably fall in to them because
they offer natural pleasures, and we will be guided by our evil proprium and
default tendencies towards hell. Without repentance, we do not allow the Lord
to fight against the awesome and terrible power of hell that is constantly
attacking, and we are not able to conjoin good and truth and thus be useful. Without
repentance we cannot even be happy, let alone saved. Goats are not repenting.
Bu goats are not the snarling, writhing devils who directly chose evil; they
are those who slid into hellish ways of thinking and acting, through not
directly rejecting evil. The story of the Dorothy-goats thus illustrates that
the path to heaven is an active one. We do not follow the path of life through
the pearly gates, we have to fight off the wolves that attack us and try to
change our course. Failure to do this does not mean choosing to be a wolf; it
just means being a goat who is not choosing to fight them off. But all the goat
has to do in order to make it through the woods is see the danger and cry for
help; then the Shepherd will come running, and will fight for them with great
power and zeal.
“Now, I just want to
play on my panpipes,
I just want to drink me
some wine,
As soon as you're born,
you start dying,
So you might as well
have a good time,
Sheep go to Heaven,
Goats go to Hell,
Sheep go to Heaven,
23 comments:
This paper was a really nice breakdown of just what it means to be a goat. Your concrete examples, like the story of "Dorothy-goat" and the picture of walking through the woods of life at the end, added a great touch that brought very big concepts down to a tangible (and understandable) level. Great job!
One thing I was wondering about: In your paper, you point out that goats aren't happy even while they're alive ("life as a goat would have been parched and empty...not enough for happiness"). If this is the case, why don't they seek to change their course and become sheep? If the goats are so unhappy even while they still have time to change, why are there goats at all?
That's a good point! I guess maybe my answer would be that goats are stuck in a more external frame of mind and lifestyle and so don't know that there can be something better. Their life isn't fulfilling because they aren't doing the things that can give deeper happiness - repenting. And while repentance and living a life of charity is the only way you can be truly and lastingly happy, it doesn't necessarily look like the road to happiness, because it requires a lot of hard work.
I think of goat people as those who are going through life with a lot of it focused on succeeding, but it's sort of that stereotype of empty success. They have a lot of external things that SHOULD make them happy, and so maybe they lie to themselves and say they are happy, or they don't know what more life could be. In some ways, realizing that you're actually unhappy, and that following just yourself isn't enough, is the beginning of repentance, which goats are not doing. That's at least how I picture it :)
Thanks, Tania, this was a fun paper to read (Except for the Cake part. They are annoying and talk instead of singing).
This topic has always been very interesting and confusing to me. When asked about my beliefs regarding people who go to heaven or hell, I usually default to, "I think good people go to heaven. And that's basically all there is to it." I'm still somewhat unsure about how this works with non-religious people. I tend to think there are people who, even though they aren't involved in the religious scene, have good basic truths about how to treat people, and when they are nice, they genuinely mean it, without secretly hating them inside.
How do you think the people who grow up completely apart from a religious lifestyle, yet genuinely find joy in loving other people, are dealt with in the afterlife? Perhaps these could be the "Simple good" who don't actively engage in self reflection and repentance, but rather just go through life looking to be happy and to treat others well.
Some days I wonder if we do so much thinking and worrying about precisely how to be a good person that we forget to go and be good people. I guess a big question would be whether goats are people who simply don't repent, yet live good lives, or are people who APPEAR to live good lives, but know darn well that they're doing everything for themselves and kind of "abuse the system" and know just how easy it is to fool people? Just a thought, I'd love to hear what you think :)
Tania,
Thank you for your paper. I will print it out and carry it around with me so that whenever someone says “you can inner-tube your way to heaven by floating down the stream of Providence” I can whip this out and attack them with it.
…hmm, maybe I should examine my motives. ☺
So, I was intrigued by this thought from your paper,"Dorothy needs repentance for happiness, but, can’t she just join good and truth without having to repent? Again, the answer is simple: no, because “good before repentance is not good, nor, before repentance, is charity charity” (Charity 207.7).
I was wondering if joining good and truth together before repentance is harmful or whether it can be a helpful step even if it isn't changing us spiritually yet?
Thoughts?
~Dara
I am thinking about the qualities of the actual animals, and it seems to me that goats are very feisty, active, and contrary, whereas sheep are nice and demure and clueless. It seems weird that the internal meanings are reversed. Or maybe I'm just picturing it wrong.
Anyway, thanks for an interesting read. I agree that the path to heaven is an active one.
So sorry you didn't enjoy Cake, Ben. Though, perhaps, considering that they're talking about goats... the fact that you found them annoying didn't detract?
I think you're right that about people who grow up apart from a religious lifestyle being the simple good, or the sheep. I totally believe they can be good people, even very good people, and go to heaven. The danger is just that since they don't necessarily have a strong external truth to follow, it is easy for them to be mislead by those around them, including the goats (who would not be modelling repentance). And I think the sheep, whether or not they have "religion", are looking at themselves and seeing that they are doing bad things and trying to stop them, and so could still be good people.
When I first read the quote about goats being morally good people who went to hell, my reaction was one that they were the simply good people who didn't repent, and that is what interested me in researching this topic - because that just seemed so unfair. But, from researching this, I am coming to think more and more that goats are those who merely appear to be living good lives, and that they might even be able to be simply hypocrites. I don't think they start out that way, I think they start out just simply not repenting, but through that, as I said in my paper, they have nothing left to turn to but themselves and their own propriums, and so they fall in to more and more evil patterns, that are then just covered up by their moral exteriors. But, as I said in the paper, if the rules and laws were removed, would goats still be good? I don't think they would be. So that's maybe the difference.
That's interesting, Jess. I think that one of the qualities of sheep that makes them so good in the Word is that they are willing to follow, and so the have "innocence" (to the degree that animals can have such characteristics), and this fits with the characters of the sheep people as the "simple good". They maybe don't know that much, but they're willing to follow someone who does (can be dangerous of course, but when done right, is a good thing).
And with goats, I don't know for sure, but can't they also be sort of clever and tricky? And since goats are sort of tricking people by appearing morally good but really not, it perhaps fits? (I may just creating heresies here :) )
That's great, Dara. I thought of that mentality a lot while writing this... do let me know how your attacks go :P
And that's a really good point. It was one of those things that I was glad to find such a straightforward answer to, but it's still hard to actually grasp. I think that the basic idea is that you can't truly conjoin good and truth before repentance. You can do things that are good, but you cannot be doing them from a place of good directed by truth if you are not also regenerating. Does this then mean that if you are regenerating in one aspect of your life... you can conjoin good and truth there, if you are still doing evil in another part?
To some extent, this HAS to be true, or none of us would be able to join good and truth unless we were perfect. BUT, how far does this go? Can you get your "conjunction points" in one part of your life (you know lying is a sin and don't do it and curb the impulse to do it) but then cheat on your test and still be good? I don't think it really works that way... I think that if you are 'getting away' with things in one aspect of your life, the desire to do that spreads, and you can't compartmentalize evil, because one of it's key qualifiers is that it grows.
All that being said, I think that there is also a lot of value to: fake it till you make it. If you should only do good once you had regenerated and so could properly conjoin good and truth... none of us would ever get anywhere. We should still do externally good things, even if we don't feel like it/are regenerate yet. And through doing good, we can more easily WANT to do good, and it then has the chance to spiritually change you. The goats are just people who never get past doing it externally, and never allow their outwardly good actions to spiritually change them.
So, basically, yes, there is merit to still doing good if it is not changing us spiritually yet. BUT, we cannot be truly conjoining good and truth unless we are repenting. So we should still do good before and while repenting, but it won't be real until we have repented.
Hi Tania,
I like how you clearly described what goats, for I had some difficulty fully grasping the whole goat concept, so thanks for clarifying that.
I like when you said "it is one thing to know the Lord fights hell for us, it is another to see just how helpless we would be without Him" YES YES AND YES. Without Him and His help we are nothing, it's like trying to fight someone who has a gun with your own bare hands. Off course one would get shot if they tried that. I do agree that the Lord fights hell for us, and all we can do is simply allow Him to do so.
It is sad though to learn that being a morally good person isn't enough. But thanks for explaining why.
I appreciate your paper and analysis.
Tania (Mr. Pobes (idk how to spell that...)
I love the example you used. COmpletely honestly it helped me understand goats a little bit better. Swedenborg should ave used more to the point examples.
I kind of feel like we were allowed to have a proprium because we as humans of the most ancient church were tired of having to always know that God was the reason for everything. We wanted the appearance of free will. But if proprium just led to us having to repent to God, then I feel like there was no point. What do you think about this?
I was really struck by the passage describing how hard the Lord works to hold back sin for us. I think that it's something that tends to get downplayed, despite the really vivid imagery that exists in the writings.
I also find it interesting that a church that has separated faith and charity is considered dead... Does that apply to people, too? Are you not really alive, or experiencing life, if you've entirely separated those things within yourself?
Hmm, I wrote something really profound that disappeared...
I like this, and especially the analogy you carry through. Makes it more real. I was struck by how everyone pays taxes and gives to charity but not the same way. Goats pay taxes to avoid getting caught, and will likely not report cash gifts from their employer, etc, and will give to charity only to be noticed or to feel good about themselves. I notice in my own life that when hell is in charge I'm full of fear. Nobody may see it, and I may be unaware of it for much of the time, but I'm watchful, noticing the potential danger. But when I'm inviting the Lord in, there's a deep peace, even when I may be confronting an event or character flaw that causes me concern.
That's a really good point, thanks. Another reason that life as a goat on earth isn't actually fulfilling because, yes, there inevitably is the fear of being discovered. And the problem is that, as a goat, they won't even be able to see that the way out of that anxious state of being is to repent, because that can appear to be the harder route.
I agree, that our proprium does not actually make us free from God and His influence, even though it may feel like it. And as I said today, I do think that that is the point. If we were completely free of God's influence and presence, we would cease to be. Our proprium's and separated will and intellect give us something other than God to choose (and choosing our proprium is truly NOT choosing God), and so in order to surpass the inherent evil of our proprium's, we do have to turn back to God.
But that whole loop isn't pointless, I don't think. I think it means more then, since is is US choosing God over the other options, rather than just continuing to receive direct perception from Him and never knowing anything else. Having a proprium does then make our decision to still choose good more real, it makes it harder perhaps. But I think that that's why people today have the potential to be even better than angels from the MAC: we can see evil first hand and very present in our lives, and still turning away from that and choosing God means shunning more evils, and thus potentially being able to come closer to God than those who never had to shun evils.
Tania, this was great.
I've been thinking a lot about this topic since reading LJC, so I was happy to see you addressed it. I loved the bit about the proprium that you included. I guess I hadn't realized that by not shunning evil, they were not coming to the Lord. And since they weren't turning to the Lord, their only option was to turn toward helping themselves. I always sort of thought that it would be fine if someone didn't necessarily call on the Lord and just focused on other stuff. I guess my crucial realization that I got from reading this is that when we fail to turn to the Lord and instead focus on ourselves, we are turning into evil's arms, because when we become our own focus, we ignore the neighbor and the Lord. That's when we lose our ability to be useful and therefore our ability to lead a fulfilling life.
I also very much appreciated your closing thought about how a goat need only to cry out for the Lord to help protect him against the wolves, and He will be there immediately to aid the goat. Except by that time, the goat will have transformed into a sheep of sorts since he is finally acknowledging that the Lord is the one who has the power to help us. :)
After this paper I don't think I will ever be able to scoff at anything involving apathy. The fact that we can confirm evils simply by not denying them (good use of the double negative by the way) can be a scary thought since it seems impossible to deny all the evils that stem from our proprium. Do you think that is what is meant, or do you think that the point is to focus on ridding ourselves of one evil at a time, even if it means we are not actively denying all the other ones?
On another note, I really appreciated the vivid imagery you provided from the Writings about what fighting the hells by ourselves would be like. It certainly makes me glad that the LORD is always ready to help when we need Him.
This paper made me realize how being a goat can lead to evil but I wouldn't say all goats go to hell I say it maybe a correlation not a cause and effect. Yes being a goat is evil but if you realize this and change you were once a goat but not anymore then I can see this as being able to go to heaven. Goat are the reason the clogged happen and they needed to be sorted out. If it was as easy as to send them all to hell no clog would of happened also the sheeple played a part too. All in all the paper was really well done and definitely a great read and makes great points. I enjoyed it and thank you for doing such a great job on this paper.
I thought this was a fascinating and enlightening explanation of Goats. I really enjoyed the description of how the failure to cease the evils you're in, will ultimately send you to hell. I really enjoyed the analogy of the getting a drink from the muddy stream. I am curious your thoughts on the notion that not all Goats are going to hell. We briefly entertained this during our class discussion, but the picture you painted in this paper leaves me wondering just how much room there is for a "few" good goats who shed their facades and chose heaven. Thanks for the nice read, it painted a much clearer picture of what Goats are and I thank you for that.
~Calvin Heinrichs
Tania, I really liked your paper.
This was one topic that was confusing to me after reading LJC. But your explanation, I was able to realize that if someone has a good idea but evil intentions, then the evil can intercede with good. This paper makes me realized that goat is the reason why people go to hell. But do you ever think that not all goat can go to hell? What if the goat changes its evil ways and decided to be good. Do you ever think of the possibilities of God forgiven them and grant them a space in heaven. I am positive that goat one of the reasons why clogged happen. I like the idea that you mentioned in your conclusion that says goat needs to cry for God protection. If goats cry out for God protection, then God can hear them and grant them their heart's desire. The bible clearly states that if anyone is restless and trouble then they should come to God because he will give them rest.
Furthermore, the idea about God holding back our sin is very important. The reason why God sent his son is for our sin. God is a God of mercy and if only we believe with our heart then his mercy will rain down on us.
Calvin,
Thanks for reading, glad it was enjoyable! My short answer to your question is yes, I do think all goats go to hell. I think in order to truly be a goat you have to be someone who is choosing to not be otherwise. You don't accidentally become a goat and you aren't unjustly damned. But people who aren't trying to be good, aren't trying to care about something other than themselves, aren't trying to curb their self-preservation and self-promotion, just don't become people who would be happy learning that true happiness is in a life of use. So goats are making themselves people who could never be happy in heaven, even if it doesn't look like they are overtly choosing hell. And I think that has to be universally true, or why would the Word make such a strong statement?
I do believe though that the Lord is trying to save everyone who could possibly be saved, and so if there were goat-like people who could be found to be not fully goatish, then I think the Lord draws them out of their goat-mask. But then they never truly were goats...
Incidentally, maybe this class should watch "The Good Place." Has an interesting commentary on merit, what being good actually means in practice, and, I think, portrays goats quite well in select moments.
Yainkain,
Thank you for your comment. To answer your question, yes, I think God absolutely forgives all of us for everything, but in order to go to heaven we have to want to be there. Goats are not people who long to be in paradise and are kicked out, they are people who don't serve others and don't want to love the Lord. Being in heaven is all about loving others and loving the Lord through preforming uses, and so goats just simply don't have any foothold there, even though the Lord desperately wants them to and would absolutely draw them to heaven if they would let Him.
This paper had a lot of very important doctrinal ideas grounded around the example of the goat Dorthy. The teaching about how doing good apart from shunning evil isn't really good is a difficult pill to swallow at times. In many ways this paper doesn't give people a lot of hope for salvation with all of the teachings telling us that we are evil and constantly strive towards hell. On the other hand this paper acknowledges the incredible power of the Lord and how He in His Mercy constantly holds us back from evils of every kind and guides us towards good to the extent that we let Him. I wonder if our view of goats should be narrowed to a specfic kind of people or whether it can be used as a lens in which we can view aspects in ourselves and others. Do we all have goat tendencies?
Hey Denali, yeah--I totally think we all have goat tendencies. Or even stronger, we're all naturally disposed to be goats. That's kind of the whole point of life and repentance, not just not doing bad things, but actively choosing to repent and follow the Lord. I agree that it can feel harsh, but it also makes so much sense about why repentance is such a struggle. If it didn't deeply matter, and the struggle wasn't for an essential end, why should we do it?
Post a Comment